Tooth decay, injuries, and wear and tear are some of the most common reasons why your teeth can get damaged over time. Sometimes, they may lose their shape, strength, and size, which could result in a major dental issue that puts a damper on your confidence.
To restore your teeth back to their former state, your dentist may recommend dental crowns as a treatment option for you. Dental crowns are tooth-shaped caps that are placed over the tooth to restore its shape and appearance.
However, there are certain factors you need to consider before getting a dental crown in Indian Trail, NC. In this blog, your Indian Trail dentist will tell you why you may need a crown, what types of crowns are available, what the cost will be, and how you will need to care for a dental crown.
What Are Dental Crowns?
Dental crowns are tooth-shaped coverings fitted over decayed or damaged teeth. They are used to cover and restore a tooth’s shape, size, and enhance its appearance. Crowns are made from a variety of materials, including porcelain or metals.
When crowns are fitted into place, they totally cover the area of the tooth above the gum line.
Reasons You May Need a Dental Crown
As one of the major restorative treatments that we offer, dental crowns treat a variety of dental issues. A crown may be needed depending on the following reasons:
- To support and cover a tooth with a large filling, especially for a mouth with multiple missing teeth.
- To protect a decaying weak tooth or hold parts of a cracked tooth together.
- To firmly hold a dental bridge in place.
- To restore an already broken tooth or worn down tooth.
- To cover up severely misshapen or discolored teeth.
- To improve the appearance of your teeth as a form of cosmetic modification.
- To cover a dental implant.
Dental crowns can also be used for children to:
- Protect your child’s teeth from the possible risk of decay, especially when the child does not carry out basic daily oral hygiene.
- Save a tooth that has been badly damaged and can’t support a filling.
Types of Dental Crowns Offered by Our Indian Trail Dentists
Various types of materials can be used to make a crown that best suits your needs. The materials include porcelain, zirconia, composite resin, metal, ceramic, and a combination of materials. Before selecting the material you want for your crown, your dentist will first need to consider the following:
- Location of your tooth
- How the tooth normally functions
- The appearance of the tooth when you smile
- Surrounding color of your teeth
- The number of natural teeth that remain
We provide our patients with the following crown treatments:
A temporary crown is placed on your tooth for a short period of time while the impressions taken to make your permanent teeth are worked on in the dental lab. Your dentist will use an easy-to-remove adhesive during this procedure, so it won’t be as strong as a permanent crown. The temporary crown will then be removed on your second appointment, and the permanent will replace it.
You can potentially have a dental crown placed on your tooth in a single appointment. With this kind of procedure, your dentist will examine the condition of your tooth and then design a crown. They will then create the crown from a block of ceramic.
Onlay or ¾ Crown
If you prefer a crown that doesn’t completely cover your tooth, your dentist may suggest an onlay or a 3/4 crown. However, it’s important to note that onlays only cover some parts of the tooth and not the whole tooth.
Cost of Getting a Dental Crown Treatment in Indian Trail
The cost of a dental crown treatment depends on the material used, the size of the tooth, and the overall oral condition of the patient. According to Cost Helper, crowns can range in prices from as low as $600 to as much as $2,500.
The cost of a dental crown treatment may also increase if your dentist has to perform more extensive preparatory work, such as a root canal or dental implant, before placing the crown. Dental insurance can help cover all or part of the cost of your crown. However, it’s best you check with your insurance company to know the type of crown your insurance covers.
Dental Crown Procedures
Some crown treatments will require multiple visits to the dentist and often include the following steps:
- Your dentist will first examine and prepare the tooth that needs the crown.
- Your dentist will file down and extract part of the outer layer of the tooth.
- A digital impression of the trimmed tooth and the surrounding tooth will be made and sent to the lab.
- You may need to wait for several weeks for your impressions to finish. This can sometimes be done in a couple of hours for same-day procedures.
- When your crown is ready, you will return for the second visit where your dentist will cement the crown to your tooth.
How to Care for Dental Crowns
Once you’ve gotten your dental crown cemented, it’s essential to take proper care of it to extend its durability. Here are a few tips on how to care for a dental crown:
- Brush your teeth gently and carefully twice daily. You should use toothpaste for sensitive teeth if your surrounding teeth are sensitive to cold or hot temperatures.
- Floss daily to keep all your teeth in top shape.
- Avoid chewing ice or hard foods that may cause cracks in your crowns, especially if your crown is made of porcelain.
- Use a night guard if you grind or clench your teeth at night.
Alternatives to Dental Crowns
Dental crowns often work best for most restorative treatments. However, if a tooth is too weakened or worn down to support a filling, a dental veneer can work as an alternative treatment if the tooth is a front tooth. Other alternatives to crowns include root canals, bridges, and dental implants.
At Nexus Dental Associates, we strive to provide our patients with improved treatment options that can enhance the appearance of their teeth and boost their confidence. If you think a dental crown is right for you, you can talk with our dentist about your options for a dental crown treatment in Indian Trail, NC. Schedule an appointment with us today and let’s give you the smile you desire.